Being a classy lady isn’t a genetic trait but an acquired one. Any woman can learn how to be classy. This is not a skill or habit that only money can buy. You’d know some socialites who are wealthy but are uncouth. They use swear words and wear pants, skirts with low strung waist lines exposing their under garments to all. A classy lady is wary of the type of songs or music she plays and listens to because what you take in, comes out. There are some habits that set you aside as a lady with class. This is beyond titles in an aristocratic setting. Being classy refers to the manners, attitude and character of the person.
Ayanime Edem, an Etiquette and feminity coach tells us a lady is one who avoids loud and tacky taste but this doesn’t means she wouldn’t go for the fine(r) things in life. Here are her post essential traits which describe a classy lady.
1. Manners: This is another word for etiquette and it cannot be over emphasized. A lady observes proper etiquette! She’s timely, keeps her word, does not show up empty handed when being hosted. Her presence is refreshing She would response to an invitation by sending an RSVP or decline promptly. She says; thank you, please, I’m sorry or excuse me when necessary and she treats everyone with respect. It’s poor manners to comment or complain about others’ lack of etiquette. She accepts and returns compliments paid her.
2. Poise: She carries herself with grace and don’t forget, a good posture too! No slouching in front of the computer or when dinning. Having a straight back at all times helps maintain good posture. The classy woman has good poise always, whether sitting, standing or getting in or out of the car. Don’t crawl into or out of the car, or should you’d have one leg in the car and the other on the ground when you getting in or out. In most cases you’d expose your undergarments to all. She sits with her legs together, no man spread. You can angle your knees to the right or left. For an elegant and slim silhouette when sitting down, you can cross your legs at the knees but be sure there’s no space between your heel and the other ankle. It is elegant when you sit with your hands together on your lap.
3. Vulgarity: She’s not vulgar or mean to others. She’d not tolerate vulgarity towards and around her. She would calmly bring to your notice the vulgarity you portray without deflating your self-esteem. Engaging in a heated exchange to prove she’s right even when she is being cheated is vulgar for the classy lady. She’d be calm and precise in standing her grounds without breaking a sweat. You can’t her rolling her eyes, stamping her feet or cussing.
4. Kindness: She’s kind even in her anger. And this is endearing. She is always gracious to everyone. Her wish is for you to be your best you can be and encourages you to be. She would do things for people without expecting anything in return. She doesn’t speak ill of anyone. No gossiping about others, even on social media too. Be kind in your posts – make them positive affirmations.
5. Self worth: A lady does not pursue a man. She knows her worth and she’s open but definitely not desperate. She makes herself approachable within set boundaries of classiness. She may desire a man in her life but she’d not tie her happiness to her relationship status. She believes in her independence and makes her own decisions. She is confident in herself and wouldn’t engage in activities just for the thrill or to drive out boredom. Being in competition is not a trait of a classy woman but you can compete with yourself to be the best version of you.
6. Communication: A lady possesses great communication skills, she listens to understand and does not interrupt others. She writes and speaks in a modulated tone, not shouting to the hearing of others. And even when agitated she manages not to lose her cool but remains composed in the heat. Her communication is straight and direct and easy to understand. She avoids using pause fillers like ‘um’, ‘you know’ or ‘it’s like’ when speaking because these don’t only make you look inarticulate but also as unrefined. She reads to keep abreast with happenings around; to be able to carry out small talks in social circles. In conversation, she’s active in listening and in contributing. It is disrespectful to people when you’re scrolling through your phone when others are talking with you. She’s engages you in the discussion by looking directly in your eye and maintains eye contact.
7. Style: A lady dresses feminine, stylish and appropriately! She’s always well dressed for the occasion, and in clothes that fit. A lady favours dresses with decent necklines. She invests in good quality accessories and clothes. It is tacky to be seen in clothes with the hem sticking off or fraying. She ensures her attires are clean and well pressed. When going to bed she attires in the appropriate sleep wear too. Self care and personal grooming are important. No cracked heels, dry and coarse hand or heavy make-up. Dramatic false lashes are a no. At all times she should be presentable – from the crown of her head to the sole of her feet.